Sunday, November 1, 2009

lil pot pies, oh my!



By: Dayna




I was itching to use our new mini casserole dishes so this next post had to include them. I'm not sure what the allure of tiny, individual sized things are to me. I just think they are cute!






It's Fall and the hard winter squash are a' flowin'. We took a trip to the pumpkin farm recently where I picked up a butternut squash. I brainstormed forever on how I would use it. This recipe came to me while looking through the fridge at all the leftovers..sigh* While I cannot guarantee it to be healthy, it sure was tasty and easy!









Roasted Butternut Squash Potpie

1 butternut squash, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup butter, melted
3 tbs. light brown sugar
1 tbs. nutmeg
salt
pepper
Filling:
2 cups cooked white rice
3 tbs. butter
1/2 cup flour
2 cups milk
1 cup mild white cheese, I used italian blend
salt
pepper
topping:
2 cups flour
1 tsp. baking powder
4 tbs. cold butter
1 cup milk



Start by roasting your squash. Assemble cubed squash on a greased baking sheet. Pour melted butter over cubes. Sprinkle with brown sugar, nutmeg, salt and pepper. Bake for 50-60 minutes, or until tender and caramelized.


While squash is roasting you can prepare the filling. In a nonstick skillet, melt butter on medium heat. Slowly whisk in flour to make a paste. After paste has browned slowly whisk in milk. Continue to whisk until paste and milk are incorporated. lower heat and add cheese. Stir until melted. If consistency is too thick add a little more milk. Stir in rice. Add salt and pepper to taste. After squash is ready, add to cheesy rice mixture.


In a separate mixing bowl, add flour and baking powder. Using a pastry blender or two knives, blend cold butter into flour. It is essential that the butter is cold and cuts into chunks. After the two are mixed stir in milk. Mix just enough to blend.


Using either a mini casserole, ramekin, or other oven safe dish, spoon in filling. I used an icing piper to apply the dough to the top of the casserole. You can use a Ziploc bag with the corner nipped off, or you can just slap it on there any ol' way. After it's on,throw those babies in the oven on a baking sheet at 375 for 30 minutes or until top is browned.





















No comments:

Post a Comment